Although Discord is more heavily focused upon its voice call features, the messaging options are also quite frequently used. Now if you are an administrator, you might be aware of the pain of deleting old messages. More so if your inbox is filled with unacceptable spam messages.
As Discord is equally efficient in its chat features, therefore it is primarily used by non-gamers too, which is why it competes heavily against some of the other major communicative application such as Skype and Slack.
However, as managing messages in Discord can be a headache in most cases, this article guides you on how to:
- Delete messages in Discord
- Manage server’s messages backlog
Interested? So let’s get started
Messaging In Discord
Discord offers its users two different kinds of messaging options.
1. Direct messaging
This is a private chat feature. This two user’s share private conversation
2. Channel messaging
This is more of a “group chat” in which a chat is shared with a group of people. Here there might be rules of the conversation. These rules often vary as per the group.
When Discord was first released, administrators were given the liberty to delete messages in bulk through the host UI of the Discord app. However, due to this, many problems arose within the Discord database. This is because too many administrators were often deleting messages in bulk at once.
Due to this, the developers decided to remove this feature altogether from the app. However, worry, not! As you can still delete messages, but it is not as easy as it once was before.
How to Delete Direct Messages in Discord
Deleting direct messages in Discord is technically impossible. You can either close down the chat box which will temporarily remove them from your sight. You can also erase a copy of the messages in your chatbox, but they remain in the other person panel and the Discord server.
You can follow the given instruction to erase the local copy:
- Right-click on the name of the user whose direct message chat you want to delete. From here select messages
- There will be a direct message pane on the left side of the screen. Here conversations are present. If you hover on a conversation an “X” appears
- The conversation present on your chat panel will be erased this way.
It is essential to keep in mind that there is no confirmation dialogue box for this action. Therefore it is better to be vigilant while deleting conversation that you may not end up deleting any conversation you want to keep.
How to Delete Channel Messages in Discord
There are the following three methods that you can follow to delete channel messages in Discord.
1. Delete Messages Manually
If you are manually deleting channel messages in Discord, you will have to remove them directly through. Here is how you can do so:
- Open the chat box containing the text channel messages you want to delete
- Hover over the message which you want to delete. Once you hover, three-dot shaped icon will appear on the right side.
- Click on the three-dot shaped icon and select delete.
- Once you confirm to delete your message will be erased.
This method is somewhat effective only if you have a handful of messages that you are eager to erase. However, if you want to get rid of messages in bulk, this method is indeed not suitable for you.
2. Delete channel messages with a Bot
If you are managing a server in Discord, you may know that there are bots available for various tasks. Similarly, there are dedicated bots available if you want to delete channel messages.
Discord offers multiple bots for its user to choose from. However, the most favourable is the MEE6 bot. Installing this bot is quite simple. You just have to follow the given steps:
- Login to your Discord server
- Go to the NEE6 website
- Here you will get the option to “Add to Discord”. Click on it and authorize the bot to work on your server.
- Select the server you want the bot to work on.
- Authorize the bot according to permissions
- Enable the Moderation plugin from the MEE6 control panel
Once you have installed the bot, you can use it for various uses other than managing messages. It comes with a verity of commands that you can use once you have it authorized. To clear messages of a particular user, use the command “!clear @username”. This will clear 100 messages of that user.
To delete the last 1000 messages of a user use the command “!clear 1000”. Changing the reflected number allows you to remove as many messages you want.
3. Clone a Channel in Discord
If misfortune has struck you and the MEE6 bot is not working, then there is one last ray of hope left for you. In this case, you cant clone the channel and delete all the messages. Through this method, a new copy of the channel is created, and the advantage here is that the history of messages is not recorded.
To do so:
- Enlist all the bots that you have on a channel. This is because once you clone the channel, there is a possibility that all bots don’t get copied.
- Right-click on the channel you are willing to clone
- Here you will find the option to clone channel. Click on it to get the task done
- You can also change the name of the channel you are cloning
- Next, select click on “create channel.”
- Once anew clone is created, delete the old channel
- Open the new cloned channel and add all the bots you wish to add.
If you clone a channel, it will save you from the hassles of relocating all of your users. Thus you will also be protected from the worries of recreating everyone’s permission and a lot of your precious time will not get wasted. Through this, all the messages of your old channel will disappear, and you will have a new channel with the same settings.
Now that you know how to manage messages, you can rest easy and fret over old messages. Although Discord is somewhat tricky to use, with the right tactic, it leads you where you want to be.