Tilt Controls are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s special feature that adds more fun to the game! These controls allow you to use your controller as a wheel! Thus, you get all the realistic feels of driving and racing from the comfort of your home! So how do you set up these tilt controls? How accurate are the motion sensors? Can you use your Joy-Cons for tilting? Keep on reading to find out how to turn on tilt controls in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Controllers for using Tilt Control in CT Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Motion Controls are compatible with a variety of controllers. All of Nintendo’s first party controllers support this new technology. You can use either the Joy-Cons or Pro Controller as a wheel in a variety of ways including;
- Using the Joy-Cons alone – They can be used in portable mode. All you have to do is tilt the whole system along with the attached joy-cons and enjoy steering the makeshift wheel!
- Using the Joy Cons with the Grip – This method can be used in both portable and docked modes. You will attach the left and right joy con with your grip and use it as a controller. Now simply tilt it to make it work like a wheel.
- Using the Nintendo Switch Pro-Controller alone – This best selling Nintendo controller works exactly like a wheel! Simply tilt it for steering your kart.
- Using a Single Joy Con with Nintendo’s Wheel accessory – You can also fit your right or left Joy Con into Nintendo’s wheel accessory. Then , simply use the wheel for steering your kart! This method gives the most realistic driving experience.
Read tha guide about How To Avoid Blue Shells in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?
Enable Tilt Controls in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
These are enabled in the same way for all controllers. Here is how to turn them on/off;
- Select your character and click next.
- Inspect the choose your kart screen that appears and look for the +/- symbol on its bottom right.
- Press either of the +/- buttons.
- A pop up will appear. It will display smart steering, tilt controls and auto accelerate. The three icons are displayed in exactly this order.
- The center icon (a controller) represents tilt controls.
- Press the ‘Y’ button. It will enable the tilt controls. Press it again to disable them.
To know whether they are on, look for two yellow arrows on either side of the icon.
You can also turn the tilt controls off mid race by pressing + to open the menu. Now press Y or left/B and the tilt controls are turned off.
Benefits of Enabling Tilt Controls in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The main benefit is obvious! You can use your controller as a wheel and enjoy steering it for a more interactive experience.
There is also another benefit of enabling tilt controls! You can get a small boost more easily if you opt for a single joy-con as a wheel. Simply shake your ‘wheel’ as soon as you go on a ramp or jump this will activate the ‘Trick’ move and you can enjoy a small boost in a fun new way!
Alternatively, you can also simply press ‘ZR’ / ‘R’ when you jump and the boost will become activated.
Tilt Controls for Multiple Consoles in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
If you’re playing with a friend or two, you can use a single Joy-Con as your controller and still have the ability to enable Tilt Controls.
The tilt controls are enabled from the character selection screen. It is important to make sure that your joy-cons are detached at this point. Now, simply press +/- and the setup screen will pop up. Place each half of the joy-con horizontally and press “SR” and “SL” together. They will now work as individual controllers with separate tilt controls. Enable the tilt controls on the Kart selection screen as mentioned above.
More Advanced Controls
Tilt Controls are just one of the interactive controls in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! The game has a lot more controls to offer that will make your gaming adventure more exciting! Some of these advanced controls include-
- Smart Steering – This is one of the best ways to stay on the race track and not wander off! It is especially useful for beginners and newbies!
- Auto-Accelerate – This control prevents your hand from cramping up by holding down the acceleration button! Read the guide about How to Turn Automatic Steering On And Off in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
- Using the accelerate button and getting a rocket start – this boost will spice up your race and put you in the lead!
- Use the accelerate button with the R button to drift.
- Using the brake button to stop a drift midway and gaining back control of your kart.
- Use the accelerate button and R button to get a turbo boost.
- Using the R button at the top of a ramp to get a jump boost.
- Using the L button to hold items like single bananas, green shells and bob-ombs.